Starburst Smoothie

Remember when I told you a few posts ago that I was starting a series on my blog where I’ll be making one recipe from every cookbook I own? Well, it starts today! If you follow me on social media, you’re familiar with my bookcase of cookbooks. It’s out of control. I’m hoping during this process, it will help me find which ones I actually like and which ones need a trip to Goodwill. First up is this Starburst Smoothie. Why don’t I make more smoothies?! They’re like dessert, but full of good for you fruity goodness!

Starburst Smoothie by So, How's It Taste? www.sohowsittaste.com

So, how’s it taste?

It’s fantastic! I have yet to meet a smoothie I didn’t like. I’m a firm believer that most smoothies are fabulous with a banana base. It just makes them a bit sweeter and creamier. This one starts with two frozen bananas, add apple juice, fresh strawberries, and fresh kiwis. I love it’s pale pink/peach color with flecks of red from the strawberries and flecks of black from the kiwi seeds. The seeds give it a fun crunch, too. This was so refreshing and I rarely buy kiwis, so it was great to get to use a new ingredient. This is from the book Smoothies (easy enough!) and I’ve only made one other smoothie in it so far. I really have no excuse for not using this cookbook more, especially during the heat of summer.

Smoothies on So, How's It Taste? www.sohowsittaste.com

This is the first in a series on my blog called Eating Their Words (shout out to my friend Erin for help with the name!), where I’m making at least one recipe from every cookbook I own. Sit back and relax, it’s gonna be a while. ;)

Starburst Smoothie

Smoothies by Sara Corpening Whiteford, Lori Lyn Narlock, Mary Corpening Barber
makes 2 servings
per serving: 195 calories, 1.2g fat, 48.3g carbs, 6.9g fiber, 2.2g protein

Ingredients:

3/4 cup apple juice
1 cup diced fresh kiwi (about 3 kiwi)
1 cup hulled and quartered fresh strawberries
2 bananas, frozen* and sliced

*Note: Freeze bananas by peeling them and placing in a freezer bag in the freezer until frozen through.

Directions:

1. Place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Serve immediately.

Pin It

11 Responses to “Starburst Smoothie”

1. #
    cassie — July 17, 2013 at 7:54 am

I love the sound of this one. I usually like to add any and all fruit I have to my smoothies.

• Leah Short replied: — July 17th, 2013 @ 8:00 am

Same here! Although I never think about kiwi, so I was really happy with this one.

2. #
    Erin @ One Particular Kitchen — July 17, 2013 at 8:09 am

I always forget how much I like smoothies. And one with kiwi! Yum!!

• Leah Short replied: — July 17th, 2013 @ 11:35 am

Me, too. I need to make them more, especially for breakfast!

3. #
    Louise — July 17, 2013 at 8:30 am

What a GREAT name for a smoothie and it looks so refreshing too!!!
    I’ve been attempting to make some recipes from my many cookbooks too recently. As a matter of fact, you might be interested in visiting Joyce @Kitchen Flavours. She has a monthly event where bloggers link up recipes they have cooked from their cookbooks.

4. #
    Lesley Eats — July 17, 2013 at 10:10 am

Wow, I remember when that new pack of Starburst flavors came out. Man, I loved those. Starbursts are one of the few things I miss (they contain gelatin). Never thought of making a smoothie to replace them! :)

• Leah Short replied: — July 17th, 2013 @ 11:34 am

It didn’t even occur to me that it was named from those!

5. #
    Julie @ Table for Two — July 17, 2013 at 12:11 pm

LOVE that you’re finally doing this!! This is so awesome! When I first saw this, i thought you were really making smoothies with the candy, haha – this looks so refreshing – i gotta keep this on my list to make for breakfast!

6. #
    amy @ fearless homemaker — July 17, 2013 at 12:12 pm

This looks gorgeous and SO delicious. And i love the idea of this series (and the name, too) – such a fun idea!

7. #
    Jackie l Food.Wine.Fashion — July 17, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I was sold as soon as I heard the name of this smoothie. I am always a huge smoothie fan but believe it or not, rarely make them at home. Don’t know why? Maybe I need this book!

xo Jackie

• Leah Short replied: — July 17th, 2013 @ 1:08 pm

It’s a really good smoothie book. They have nutrition info and all kinds of good stuff on buying the produce. They have a second book, too. That one’s coming up soon!