Fun & Healthy Lunches

I normally get really excited about food. I love it. I’ll be at lunch talking about what I’m going to have for dinner. Oh, if only calories didn’t exist! A friend of mine posted about This Lunch Rox! a long time ago and I always pored through each post, thinking “I could do this for me.” Well, minus the cute cutouts and such. Kids shouldn’t be the only ones to have fun with lunch. I struggle during the week with lunch while I’m at work. I’m surrounded by delicious restaurants, most in walking distance, but my wallet and my waistline would suffer too much. Leftovers or frozen meals are my usual route, but since that’s been my go to “grab & go” lunch for years, I’m burnt out. Then I thought back to This Lunch Rox!, got some ideas from the Bistro Boxes at Starbucks, and was determined to make my own fun & healthy lunches!

Rubbermaid LunchBlox

To make this work, I needed a new lunchbox. Throwing all these bites into baggies wasn’t going to work. I’m a sucker for boxes and bags and such, so I kind of just wanted to buy something new. After searching all over the lunchbox aisle and not being happy with anything, I by chance stumbled into the plastic container aisle and found Rubbermaid’s LunchBlox! Perfect! There’s a Sandwich Kit, Salad Kit, and Entree Kit, or you can buy the compartments on their own. The sandwich style was just what I wanted.

LunchBlox

I bought four so I could prep my lunch for the entire week. I treat myself to one lunch out a week, so no need for five (although I’m eyeing the Salad Kit). The compartments all snap together on top of each other and the kits come with a Blue Ice pack that snaps on as well. I don’t really use the ice pack since I have a fridge at work, but this would make these wonderful for travel.

Filled LunchBlox

I filled mine with all kinds of healthy bites. What makes them fun is that it’s not just one thing, it’s several things. I tend to get bored with just a sandwich and chips, but this way, I’m eating tons of stuff (it feels like). I keep the calorie count under 400 per box, and it fills me up. It’s really easy to vary each box if you wanted more variety, too. Lately I’ve been stuffing mine with a hard-boiled egg, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, deli turkey, reduced fact Colby Jack cheese or reduced fat mozzarella stick, red & green grapes, hummus, mixed nuts, crackers, pickles, and pickled okra. See, that’s a lot of food! I also enjoy that it’s so many different flavors and textures. I discovered raw veggies (especially broccoli) are delicious dipped in hummus, and if you eat the egg and pickle together it’s like eating deviled eggs! Eating lunch is fun!

Four LunchBlox

Every Sunday, I line up my containers and get them ready for the week. It’s a cinch and actually kind of fun! It also takes no time, so I don’t have to worry about what I’m going to do for lunch for an entire week. Since they’re stackable, they fit nicely in the refrigerator without taking up too much space.

What do you do for lunch during the work week?

Disclaimer: I am not associated with Rubbermaid. This post is my personal opinion and I was not compensated by Rubbermaid or any third party.

Pin It

13 Responses to “Fun & Healthy Lunches”

1. #
    Sues — March 25, 2013 at 11:44 am

You’re so organized! I love it! I’m so random with my lunches. Sometimes I’m a crazy planner and other times I do nothing. I went through a HUGE salad phase and then got bored. Now I’ve been trying to make dinners with lots of leftovers, so I can bring them to lunch.

Hardboiled eggs are one of my favorite snacks for work!

• Leah replied: — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:22 pm

I wish I was this organized all the time! I’m hoping this makes me somewhat stick to being healthy…even though I followed up my lunch today with a piece of cake. ;)

2. #
    Dainiz Hernández — March 25, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I got the salad kit and the sandwich kit and they’re amazing! The carrier bag for these doesn’t have very pretty colors but I liked it too.
    Just loved them :)
    Greetings!

• Leah replied: — March 25th, 2013 @ 2:51 pm

I thought that, too. I hope they make more bags with cooler designs soon. I love how the salad one keeps the dressing and lettuce separate, so no more soggy toppings!

3. #
    alexandra @ sweet betweens [blog] — March 25, 2013 at 3:27 pm

I love that you posted about this! I recently bought the salad kit once I started working this part time gig that has me on the road. It’s perfect for me to eat a few bites at a stop light or when stuck in traffic. I’m going to be headed back to an office position soon and LOVE this sandwich kit. My favorite lunch is always a mix of treats, much like yours. Eggs, veggies + dip, cheese, fruit, etc. Lots of variety to keep me entertained! Now I want to look into the entree kit as well as the tote bags. So fun!

4. #
    Annakate — March 27, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I absolutely love this idea! I always think those packaged fruit/cheese boxes look so good at starbucks…duh. I could make them myself! I’m totally doing this. Great post! I often take leftovers, or I make a garbage salad with the things I have on hand: Greens, whatever veggies I have, something roasted (carrots, leftover root veggies, really anything), a starch or bean (leftover rice or grains, the heel of a loaf of bread chopped up), nuts, raisins, fruit, feta, etc. It sounds like a lot but it’s usually heavy on the greens with whatever mixins. I’m all about the texture! Toss all that together in a tupperwere container and bring a bottle of dressing with you and voila – instant awesome salad.

• Leah replied: — March 27th, 2013 @ 1:44 pm

I’ve had your garbage salad bookmarked. It looks divine…and so easy!

5. #
    Samantha — March 30, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I went grocery shopping today and I got a lot of really healthy things like broccoli, carrots, eggs to hard boil, hummus, pita chips, apples, cheese, berries, grapes…etc and I went SEARCHING for these boxes after I read your post yesterday. They were in the most bizarre aisle (the baking aisle!???) But I wasn’t leaving the store until I found them! haha! Thanks for this, hopefully my lunches wont consist of too much take out anymore.

• Leah replied: — March 30th, 2013 @ 3:57 pm

The baking aisle? That’s odd! Glad you found them. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

6. #
    kara — January 9, 2014 at 4:27 pm

What did you pack in all your boxes?

• Leah Short replied: — January 10th, 2014 @ 8:37 am

Hi Kara! Lately I’ve been packing things like crackers, almonds or mixed nuts, grapes, string cheese or bite-sized cheese, hard-boiled eggs, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, hummus, pickles, pickled okra, deli meat slices. I like to have a variety of textures and flavors so it feels like I’m eating a lot.

7. #
    Mperfectness — January 24, 2014 at 9:19 pm

I had my lunch bloxes (3), today I purchased the carrier bag. I’m trying pastrami, cauliflower, broccoli, hummus, veggie chips, celery, boiled eggs and pickles. Will pack three days and two days dinner leftovers..every so often eat out. Thanks for the motivation and organizing tip,efficiency is a big deal !

8. #
    cindy — January 26, 2014 at 4:32 am

What store has the lunch boxes